On Friday, February 17, 2017, Strike4Democracy will coordinate over 100 strike actions across the United States, and beyond, to plan for a series of mass strikes to stand up for America’s democratic principles. As the nation suffers through ICE raids, travel bans, Trump’s mobilization on the border wall, as well as attacks on the rights of workers, women, people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, and our environment, February 17th provides a beacon to those who are searching for a way to protect and defend our shared humanity. People across the country have begun to realize that we must diversify tactics, as protests and marches are only the first step. Strike4Democracy amplifies a new chapter of nonviolent resistance ushered in over the last six weeks.
We call on participants in Strike4Democracy to rise up in their local communities on February 17th to hold events that build towards a series of mass strikes. The first mass strike is planned on March 8, organized by International Women’s Day and The Women’s March. We also anticipate strikes on May Day and a heightening resistance throughout the summer.
Strike4Democracy’s message to the Administration and Congressional leaders is clear:
- STOP the authoritarian assault on our fundamental, constitutional rights, the very principles that have truly made America great;
- STOP attacking and victimizing women, Muslims, immigrants, racial and ethnic groups, the LGBTQ+ community, working families, journalists, and all who offer criticisms of the Administration’s policies including the U.S. judicial branch;
- REALIZE that America’s true strength lies in the values of inclusivity not exclusivity.
As citizens and supporters come together to register their deep dissatisfaction with the President and the current administration’s unconstitutional, inhumane policies and behavior, February 17thmarks a heightened effort to provide a beacon for those who share our concerns and who search for a way to “do something.” Together we speak with one voice. We say:
- NO to attacks on our marginalized communities
- NO to attacks on the sovereignty of indigenous peoples
- NO to attacks on constructive critics within and outside government
- NO to attacks on our constitutionally guaranteed rights
- NO to attacks on our environment
- NO to attacks on working families
- NO to attacks on public education
Register your local events here at this crowdsourced doc:
Strike4Democracy (www.strike4democracy.com) is a national day of action on Friday, February 17, 2017. We intend to build an unassailable force of Americans from all walks of life and all parts of this great country who will, if necessary, participate in a series of massive strikes to persuade the President, his administration, and his supporters in Congress, to heed our message: Stop the authoritarian assault on our fundamental, constitutional rights. Over 100 coordinated events will take place across the nation and beyond. Find an #F17 event near you at www.strike4democracy.com/events.